Grant Making: Supporting The Campus Community
The Las Positas College Foundation supports the mission of the College and advances its vision for the future through active resource development. Its main focus is the funding of student scholarships, supporting vital educational programs and continuing outreach to the community through college sponsored programs. It does not fund otherwise worthy projects that fall outside the mission of the organization (e.g., those that do not support the campus community or its outreach effort).
Since the LPC Foundation was founded in 2003 it has worked to underwrite activities that impact present and future students, faculty and staff. These include:
- Each year the Foundation awards over $80,000 in student scholarships.
- The Foundation underwrote the approximate $9,000 cost of a College Open House and Community Day in April 2005.
- Since 2005, the Foundation has awarded nearly $13,000 to support the College’s Disabled Students Programs and Services.
- The LPCF underwrites numerous campus and community cultural events such as: The Annual Early Music Concerts and yearly mini-performances of a touring company of the San Francisco Shakespeare Festival.
- An $11,400 grant was awarded by the Foundation to the LPC Athletic Department for purchase of Men’s and Women’s basketball uniforms.
- The College Bound Scholars program – a 6th grade to college project – became a reality in September 2006 when an initial grant of $41,000 was approved by the Foundation Board. Since then, nearly $70,000 additional funding has helped to support the program.
- $9,000 was awarded in March 2007 to partially fund the LPC Athletics Academic Support Center.
- In December 2007, the Foundation granted nearly $40,000 to programs designed to help members of the campus community. These included $20,000 as seed money for Veterans First, an outreach program and financial support for returning veterans
- Over $21,000 was awarded in April 2008 for five projects: 1) A Counseling Intern Program; 2) The Early Music Concert Series; 3) Sheet music for the Instrumental Music Dept.; 4) Computers for a tutorial program and 5) Support for a diversity-focused speakers series.
- In May 2008 $25,000 was granted to assist in the running of the Integrated Learning Center, a dynamic academic coaching facility staffed by faculty from the Departments of Mathematics, English and English as a Second Language.
- $12,000 was granted in June 2008 to the Administration of Justice program to cosmetically upgrade a donated crime scene van that will be used for instruction and for College outreach at community events.
- In August 2009, $10,000 was granted to the Associated Students of Las Positas College to underwrite its “Textbook Loaner” program for deserving students who can not afford to purchase textbooks.
- Nearly $7,000 was awarded to the Athletics Department in March 2010 to underwrite the costs of a portable soccer scoreboard and a basketball & volleyball scoring table.
- In April 2010, the Foundation provided a $5,000 grant to the Horticulture Program for a new Green House.